With smartphone penetration soaring and the rapid advancements in internet connected devices, mobile and IoT device security guarantees are needed more than ever. Adversaries can leverage the fact that mobile devices are equipped with a multitude of sensing and their always present nature to launch sophisticated inference attacks to violate users’ confidentiality and the platforms’ integrity. This research thrust aims to study such adversarial capabilities in smartphone and IoT systems in consumer and enterprise settings.
- [ACSAC] Characterizing Improper Input Validation Vulnerabilities of Mobile Crowdsourcing Services. Sojhal Khan, Dominika Woszczyk, Chengzeng You, Soteris Demetriou, Muhammad Naveed. To appear in the 2021 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC ’21), 2021.
- [MobiSys] DarkneTZ: Towards Model Privacy on the Edge using Trusted Execution Environments. Fan Mo, Ali Shahin, Kleomenis Katevas, Soteris Demetriou, Ilias Leontiadis, Andrea Cavallaro, Hamed Haddadi. In proceedings of the 18th ACM international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services (ACM MobiSys), 2020
- [HotSoS] BEEER: Distributed Record and Replay for Medical Devices in Hospital Operating Rooms. Hojjati, Avesta; Long, Yunhui; Demetriou, Soteris; Gunter, Carl A. 6th Annual Hot Topics in the Science of Security (HoTSoS), April 2019
- [IoTSec] Toward an Extensible Framework for Redaction. Demetriou, Soteris; Nathaniel D. Kaufman; Jonah Baim; Adam J. Goldsher; Gunter, Carl A. . 1st International Workshop on Security and Privacy for the Internet-of-Things (IoTSec), April 2018
- [WiSec] HanGuard: SDN-driven protection of WiFi smart-home devices from malicious mobile apps. Demetriou, Soteris; Zhang, Nan; Lee, Yeonjoon; Wang, Xiaofeng; Gunter, Carl; Zhou, Xiaoyong; Grace, Michael. 10th ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks (WiSec), July 2017
- [DSN] Ghost Installer in the Shadow: Security Analysis of App Installation on Android. Lee, Yeonjoon; Li, Tongxin; Zhang, Nan; Demetriou, Soteris; Zha, Mingming; Wang, XiaoFeng; Chen, Kai; Zhou, Xiaoyong; Han, Xinhui; Grace, Michael. 47th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), June 2017
- [arXiv] Understanding IoT Security Through the Data Crystal Ball: Where We Are Now and Where We Are Going To Be. Nan Zhang, Soteris Demetriou, XiangHang Mi, Wenrui Diao, Kan Yuan, Peiyuan Zong, Feng Qian, Xiaofeng Wang, Kai Chen, Yuan Tian, Carl A. Gunter, Kehuan Zhang, Patrick Tague, Yue-Hsun Lin. arXiv preprint arXiv:1703.09809. March 2017
- [NDSS] Free for all! Assessing User Data Exposure to Advertising Libraries on Android
Demetriou, Soteris; Merrill, Whitney; Yang, Wei; Zhang, Aston; Gunter, Carl. 23rd Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium, February 2016
- [NDSS] Inside Job: Understanding and Mitigating the Threat of External Device Mis-Bonding on Android. Naveed, Muhammad; Zhou, Xiaoyong; Demetriou, Soteris; Wang, XiaoFeng; Gunter, Carl. 21st Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium, February 2014
- [CCS] Identity, location, disease and more: Inferring your secrets from android public resources. Zhou, Xiaoyong; Demetriou, Soteris; He, Dongjing; Naveed, Muhammad; Pan, Xiaorui; Wang, Xiaofeng; Gunter, Carl; Nahrstedt, Klara. ACM Symposium on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), November 2013